Tuesday, 19 August 2014

My mama did not go to school!

   Two years ago I was at my daughters school to pick her up and something happened that I never forgot and probably never will. She was four years old at that time and little did I know what she thought of me.
   Outside the school, one of her friends mother approached me and began speaking to me very fast in Portuguese about the ballet school which my daughter and hers attended. Being that I was born and raise in Africa and at that time had lived only 3 years in Portugal, my Portuguese was really bad and well, not so much has improved since then lol! I didn't have much clue what the woman was talking about but as usual, I put on a serious face nodding my head as the woman spoke, smiling when she smiled and laughing when she did and all the while trying to pick out a few words I could piece together to get a clue as to what she was talking about.
   My adorable daughter whom was playing with her friend as the woman rambled on in Portuguese quickly stopped and came to stand beside me looking from me to the woman as she bit her nails. After carefully observing the one-sided conversation, she turned to me knowingly and said slowly in Portuguese, almost as if she were talking to a child much younger than herself. "Mama you don't understand what she is saying. Do you?"
   I flashed her an unamused smile and replied in English. "Be quiet." My voice was gentle but firm. Too late as the woman had obviously heard my daughter for she stopped, her eyes travelling from my daughter to me almost accusingly. 
   "Madam,' my daughter said in Portuguese breaking the uncomfortable silence, 'you must speak slowly and demonstrate with your hands. My mother did not go to school. She does not understand what you are saying." That was easy for me to understand because she spoke slowly dragging her words and demonstrating with her little hands in an attempt to teach the woman how to speak to me. My mouth quickly dried up and embarrassment registered all over my face as I tried but failed to find the words to explain to the woman that I had gone to school...even the university for that matter.
   Too late for I could tell by the apologetic look the woman now gave me that she had totally believed my daughter. "I am sorry." She said in Portuguese almost counting her words as my daughter had suggested she did and she rambled something quickly in Portuguese, gave my daughter a small kiss on one cheek and walked away with her daughter.
   My fury and embarrassment was suddenly replaced with amusement as I looked down at my little girl whom was smiling at me with eyes of accomplishment like she had helped me out or something. 
   Reaching home, I narrated the story to my husband whom lovingly explained to my daughter that her mother "had gone to school" using herself as an example, he asked her. "Do you speak very good English?" She shook her head and he went on to explain to her that just because she didn't speak very good English did not mean she is illiterate because at school she is taught in Portuguese. And just when I began smiling, happy and relieved that she had understood, came another blast! "But if she went to school then why can't she drive?"
   My husband and I burst out laughing. "My dear,' he said as he gently rubbed her chin, 'your mama used to drive in Africa. The reason she does not drive here is because she needs a drivers license and she needs to write an exam in Portuguese in order to obtain a drivers license. In Africa it was easy because the test was in English."
   Her face lit up as the "a-ha" moment sank in!
   Till this day, I still look back and laugh. There is nothing more beautiful than the innocence of a child.
Have you ever had similar experience with your children?

36 comments:

  1. Very cute story and thanks for sharing it. All the best on your language learning curve and the securing of a license to drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I also hope I do learn the language fast too!

      Delete
  2. Yes, children always amaze us with their unbeatable logics. The world through their eyes is so innocent and so beautiful. We should cherish these special moments of communication with our kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa I call such moments priceless moments!

      Delete
  3. Now I do. I recently had a brain injury and I have problems with simple spelling & my family makes little comments that they need to send me back to school. It's cute & funny. I love your story. Lots of love, Lisa. Coming by from Lifestyle bloggers on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry about your injury Lisa. I am glad you and your family can joke about it. I guess laughter makes everything easier. If I click on your name does it take me directly to your blog? I like to support all my friends.

      Delete
  4. Haha! Cute story.. Kids saying is always the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie yes they do come up with the funniest things!

      Delete
  5. Loving your story. Thanks for sharing with us. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh dear. kids say the darnest things, yet with the most innocence. you're an awesome mother. i doubt i can take that sort of embarrassment with grace like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha. This is a hilarious post. SOmetimes, it is just harder to blend in with the people especially when there's a language barrier. Anyhoo.. your daughter is so smart. Bet she got it from her parents ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed the story. And thank you so much for the compliment!

      Delete
  8. Such a good read for a cold night here in our place.Your daughter was just candid in her answers. This is a cute story you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is hilarious and sweet! I can imagine your embarrassment, but what a sweet daughter you have to come to your rescue. The innocence is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is more beautiful than the innocence of a child. I am glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  10. very cute and funny story with some emotional put, loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, kids have their own way of understanding things :) It's amazing that you could take all that with good humor and were able to understand your daughter. What a wonderful mama you are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A compelling story that has an essence of a parent-daughter relationship. But, as a way of our customary attitude to our kids: when the parents are conversing, kids should not talk or enter into the discussion between parents. A nice story indeed with good moral lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my culture too it is the same but I guess she felt she had to save the day lol.

      Delete
  13. A great story that you can always share with her when she gets older! Could be included in the Cosby show "Kids Say the Darndest Things".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Karen I will be sure to tell her about it when she gets older. I am glad you enjoyed the story!

      Delete
  14. It looks like you really need to learn Portuguese language. You have a smart daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I really need to and yes she is so smart!

      Delete
  15. Kids really have lots of questions. But in our case, it is us that gets A-ha moments because of the surprising things our daughter says!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do. They are so smart. Sometimes they say or ask some things and your jaws just drop open!

      Delete
  16. Kids do say the darnednest things and we sometimes we don't know where their kiddie "wisdom" comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a very cute and smart daughter! You are truly blessed. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your daughter is very perceptive! Good luck with learning to speak Portuguese bettter! When I visited Brazil recently, not many speak English, mostly Portuguese and we had to use lots of sign language!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice story :) Thanks for sharing, she's smart ;)

    ReplyDelete